This marker is located about 4 miles north of the village on County Route 110, where the road crosses the creek.
A tributary that empties into the Great Sacandaga Lake, Frenchman’s Creek was named for pioneer Joseph DeGolyer, a Frenchman who settled beside the stream. By 1810, Duncan McMartin established a saw, grist, and woolen mill on this creek. McMartin was a surveyor, lawyer, and common pleas judge by 1813 and was later elected NY State Senator (1820-30). Significantly, Judge McMartin is cited in several Adirondack history references as being one of the principal partners in the early iron mining operation in North Elban, which became known as the McIntyre Iron Works.