Site of First Catholic Church in Fulton County
Take County Route 309 from Gloversville into Bleecker where it turns into Route 112: continue on 112. Pass the Bleecker Community Church and at the intersection of Persch Road, turn left unto Persch and follow it to the hilltop. You will see a side road marked "Shrine Road." This is a dead end road. Park and walk forward. The Catholic Cemetery is on the right and the Shrine is located by taking a left turn up the hill.
Up this back-country road is the shrine which is located at the Alter Site of the former St. Joseph’s Catholic Church and nearby is the accompanying Catholic Cemetery. This church was built in 1856. The church was dismantled and part of the lumber was reused in building two other churches, one at Bleecker Center and the other (St. Barbara’s) at Caroga Lake. This marker was installed many years ago at the entrance to Persch Road, a left turn in front of the Bleccker Town Hall.