In 1762, Sir William Johnson built his fishing lodge near what was once the Sacandaga River. He called his lodge “Fish House”, hence the name of the hamlet.
Now in 2012, here on the shores of the Sacandaga Lake, we are celebrating 250 years of Fish House. To commemorate this, the Fish House Community Center is sponsoring a second house tour; the last was in 2009. The tour is this Saturday, July 21 at 10am-4pm for $20 per person or $10 per person if in a group of 10 or more. This tour will include many of the same houses featured in the previous tour as well as two new houses. The premier gardens that will be open to the public are uniquely wonderful.
Fish House has gone through many transitions in its 250 years. Walk through its oldest house, built in 1784 by Godfrey Shew. Visit three homes built just before the Civil War, when the main way of life in Fish House was mostly farming. Enjoy the newest homes on the tour, built in the early 1900’s.
For more information please contact: Tracie Kuchark Owens (518) 332-6300
http://sites.google.com/site/fishhousehistory/ | www.northamptonnyhistory.com/
For more Fulton County events: https://www.44lakes.com/calendar