1849 Plank Road
The Amsterdam and Fish House Plank Road was constructed in 1849, passing through Broadalbin. The road was extended to Northville in 1850. This improvement in road conditions brought daily stage coach trips from Northville to Amsterdam and returned carrying both mail and passengers. Farmers, artisans, and tradesmen then had an improved means of getting products to the Erie Canal and the developing rail systems down along the Mohawk Valley for a more expanded area of distribution. Documents indicate that a toll gate was placed on the north side of the village.